Welcome to DTD's Cyber Sports Bar

I'm a writer at heart and a huge sports fans so that means I end up writing about sports quite often. I'm mainly into football, baseball and basketball but do enjoy other sports like boxing also. I want this site to feel like a sports bar, where instead of just facts you get a full dosage of opinion. Sometimes you will agree with me, and others times you will not, but we will have great fun debating over it either way. Check it out and let me know your opinion even if you drastically disagree with mine.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Return of Steve Nash and the Phoenix Suns

Steve Nash and his Phoenix Suns team come second only to my hometown Cleveland Cavaliers, when I’m choosing whom to cheer for in the NBA. To be honest, when it comes to watching the games, I sometimes prefer to watch the Suns. This is no discredit to the Cavs who are a great team and will always be #1 in my heart, but they don’t play anywhere near the same style of ball.

As a five foot ten white guy, when I dreamt of playing ball as a kid, it was always as a point guard. When I dreamt of playing point guard, do you think it involved slowing the ball up and grinding out a 94-93 victory? Of course not, that is absurd. I’m talking about the late eighties and early nineties here! The playgrounds and gyms back then were all about run and gun. Grab the rebound and start the fast break. That is why I fell in love with watching the Phoenix Suns play basketball. That is why I love to watch Steve Nash lead his offense so well that Steven Spielberg is taking notes on how to direct. After a short hiatus due to the Shaquille O’neal experiment, that run and gun showtime mentality of the Phoenix Suns is back and I’m one guy that loves it. I wish all the games were like this again. I can’t help feeling old every time I think about it, but back in the day scoring over 110 or 120 was normal. Now we pray for teams to put up triple digits. Thank you Alvin Gentry for remembering your playing days and saying wouldn’t it be nice if it was like that now. The Suns are 8-1 and averaging over 112 points per game.

Barring a major injury of Steve Nash, the Phoenix Suns will even be making a return to the NBA Playoffs this year. Will they be able to compete with the likes of the Spurs or the Lakers once they get there? Most likely not, but I think the NBA is in a much better place with them there. Tune in tonight at 7:30 PM Pacific time to watch them take on the Lakers for the first time this year. What’s that? You are on the East Coast and can’t stay up late enough to watch a game that starts at 10:30 PM Eastern Time? No problem. There are two great inventions, one new and one kind of old shall we say. The new invention called a DVR and that old trusty VHS. Yes, that machine with the five layers of dust covering it. For anybody that loves the days of old of the NBA, this game or any Suns game for that matter is a must watch. Maybe you can even rock out to Bon Jovi or Def Leppard while you reminisce about back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment